Oct222012

Video of Britannia's first run

Published by Chris Draper at 7:49 PM under Britannia | Operating Days | Steam Locomotives

Noel captured these two clips of Britannia's first run. For those unfamiliar with the WCR the bridge featured in the first shot is on a 1in40 downgrade with pointwork not far off the bottom edge. Being the first run I was also unfamiliar with the locos braking characteristics so was taking it extra cautious.

Creeping across bridge one

The second shot is on the uphill grade and it was a joy to hear her exhaust beat. I look forward to putting a load on the drawbar and really making her bark!

Run up through tunnel

[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses

Oct222012

Steaming The Britannia for the First Time.

Published by Chris Draper at 10:22 AM under Operating Days | Steam Locomotives | Britannia

It has been a wet Labour weekend - but that did not stop us having fun.

Grant (of Squirrel Valley Fame) came up for the weekend and we ran the wheels off the rolling stock between showers.

Steamed the Britannia for the first time on Sunday Morning - it was raining so hard we had to do so in the confines of the shed.

Noel turned up just after lunch, and the rain had eased so we decided to do a few laps. Four hours later we were still going when the weather packed in again and we called it a day with a beer.



[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses

Aug062012

Loco Lift

Published by Chris Draper at 5:05 PM under Diesel Locomotives

My Diesel project is getting too heavy to lift about by hand, so time-out from loco building was required to build the permanent lifting tackle. I acquired an Air-over-oil forklift with a 1 metric tonne capacity a few years ago, and while it has been useful for moving stuff about the workshop - it was time to adapt it for loco lifting.

The photos will show the almost-complete dual guage lift. The idea is it can be positioned on any of the three tracks coming into the workshop and lift equipment up for work, allow equipment to be transferred to permanently raised tracks or act as an unloading ramp for visiting equipment.

Most of the photos are self explanitory except the last: - I need a way of lifting the 120+ kg (250lb) frame on and off its trucks during this phase of the build.  Basically the idea is to position the loco on the hoist, lift it a couple of feet then place automotive axle stands on the floor directly under the loco's jacking points, lower the hoist and viola - the chasis is held clear of the trucks on the axle stands and the bogies can be rolled out underneath.



[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses

Jul302012

DFT Moves on Own Wheels

Published by Chris Draper at 8:06 AM under Diesel Locomotives

Big Milestone yesterday. The DFT moved on its own wheels for the first time. Clearance and suspension tests passed with flying colours and the old motivation has been given a needed shot in the arm.

 



[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses

Jul232012

Trackwork & General from July 2012

Published by Chris Draper at 5:50 PM under Steam Locomotives | Track Construction

July has been a bit wet and cold to do much outside, but when the pot belly stove is fired up and food smells are wafting through the shed - we dont mind!



[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses

Jul062012

Custom Springs for the Diesel

Published by Chris Draper at 4:29 PM under Diesel Locomotives

Suspension was always going to be tricky for my diesel, but luckily I found a company that took all the hard work away. Spring Specialists here in Auckland who custom make any spring from cellphone keypad to heavy duty truck springs.

I specified the diameter had to be just less than the 24mm pocket size, the free length should be 70mm and when compressed to 50mm long it should be supporting a design weight of 30kg.

From that information they calculated the spring wire size (3.5mm), and recommended a diameter of 20mm so the spring had some space to flex as it compressed as well as allowing for the side to side movement of the axleboxes in the horns (up to 5mm each way). They could not have been more helpful.

They appologised for charging a setup fee for such a small order (20) and produced them in 2 days for $9 each. Great value in my book.

When I turned up to collect them today they also showed me part of their extensive 'odds and ends' collection they have and welcomed me back to delve into it should I find the need.

Great Service from a local company.



[Google] [Facebook] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [StumbleUpon]

Tags:

E-mail | Permalink | Trackback | Post RSSRSS comment feed 0 Responses